- + When and where is Packet Pick-Up?
- Packet pick up will be Friday, Oct. 13 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the North Idaho State Fairgrounds (formerly known as the Kootenai County Fairgrounds), Building 2, 4056 N. Government Way, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, 83815. There's tons of parking. Enter off of Government Way, just north of Kathleen Ave. Your packet will include your race bib, timing chip, and Race Guide. Last chance registration which is at the Packet Pick-Up event will be available for the marathon, 1/2-marathon, and 1/4-marathon. There will be no race day packet pickup for the marathon, 1/2-marathon, and 1/4-marathon events.
- + I am coming from out of town, is there special hotel accommodations?
- The Triple Play Resort Hotel and Suites in Hayden, Idaho will gladly honor the discounted per room, per night price of $89.00 plus tax. This price includes a deluxe hot breakfast each morning. To reserve rooms at the discounted price, racers and families can call 208-772-7900 and ask for a room in the Hayden Lake Marathon Group Block.
- + Is there a prize for the winners of each event?
- Trophies will be awarded to the first three finishers in each event, by gender. If you're unable to attend the awards ceremony, please send an email to email@example.com to have your ribbon or award sent to you.
- + Are there prizes by age group?
- Age group winners will receive an age group ribbon. If you're unable to attend the awards ceremony, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your ribbon or award sent to you.
- + Are there finisher medals?
- Marathon and Half Marathon finishers will receive finisher medallions.
- + I hear the marathon has lots of hills. What about the 1/2-marathon and 1/4-Marathon?
- Each distance of the Hayden Lake Marathon (full, 1/2, and 1/4) is challenging. Runners will encounter hills on each of the courses, but they all start and end at the same elevation.
- + What are the best shoes for the course? Is this race on paved roads or rugged terrain?
- Any running shoes suitable for running on pavement will work fine. The entire course is on smooth paved roads. Hilly, yes. Rugged, no.
- + Are there any age restrictions?
- + What are the distances of each event?
- Full marathon is 26.2 miles; 1/2-marathon is 13.1 miles; 1/4-Marathon is 6.5 miles.
- + What are the start times for each event?
- The Marathon begins at 7:30 AM
1/2-Marathon begins at 8:30 AM
1/4-Marathon begins at 9 AM
- + If I am unable to pick up my packet before the race may someone pick it up for me?
- Yes, but the person must bring a copy of the participant's photo ID and a note signed by the individual authorizing the pick up
- + Am I allowed to use my MP3 player during the race?
- Yes, you are permitted to use MP3 players during the race. For the safety of
everyone on the course, we ask that runners keep their music low or consider
using just one earpiece.
- + Are Wheelchair/Hand Cycles and Walkers permitted?
- Yes, Walkers, Wheelchairs and Hand Cycles are allowed in the Marathon, 1/2-Marathon and 1/4-Marathon, but please understand that time cut-offs apply to all racers,
and that each course has steep hills, both up and down, and that the course is
narrow. Due to circumstances beyond our control, the course is not ideal for
wheelchairs or hand cycles, and conditions may be icy if we experience a cold
snap with dew or precipitation leading up to the start of the race.
For safety reasons it would be best for wheelchair athletes to do the full marathon course on even numbered years, and the half-marathon and 10k courses on odd years. This will allow downhill sections to be navigated with the flow of vehicular traffic in most sections of the course.
- + What are the time limits to complete Marathon and Half Marathon?
- The course limits are as follows:
Marathon: 6.5 hours
Half Marathon: 3.25 hours
- + Why are there time limits for the marathon and half marathon?
- City and Road Use Permits require events to conclude as soon as reasonably
possible, and to restore regular traffic flow.
- + What is available at the Finish Line?
- Additional refreshments will be available at the Finish Line Party located at
Honeysuckle Beach Park. Additional race-wear will also be available for
purchase, as well as photo packages. Also, post-race massages will be available
for a discounted rate.
- + Will porta-potties be available on the course?
- Porta-potties will be available nearly every other aid station as well as at the Start/Finish area.
- + Will Gear Check be available?
- Yes. Gear check areas will be located at the Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k
starts. Participants will place their gear in their goody bag supplied to them at time
of packet pick-up and identified with their bib #. Since each race course starts
and ends at Honeysuckle Beach, packets will remain in the same area from the
start to the finish of the race.
- + Are roller-skates, inline-skates, skateboards, bikes or carriages of any kind allowed to participate in the Marathon?
- No, if you are caught on the Race course with any of these, you will be directed
off of the route. However, the roads on which each course runs is open to
vehicular traffic, which means that the "general public" may choose to use a
bicycle in lieu of a motorized vehicle in order to travel around the lake. Bicycles
must be able to travel at speeds safe for integration with motorized vehicles (15
mph speeds). Bicycles shall pull off the side of the roadway in the event that a
motorized vehicle approaches from the rear on a section (uphill perhaps)
where maintaining speeds up to 15 mph is not possible. Skates and
skateboards shall not be considered as vehicles, and are therefore not safe on
roadways, and shall be directed off both the race course and the surrounding
roadways. Spectators fall into the category of "the general public."
- + What is the weather like that time of year?
- Weather is generally clear in mid-October in Hayden, but prepare for the
possibility of cold temperatures. Gloves and a warming jacket may allow you to
stay warm prior to the start of the race. If you choose to race with layers that are
shed along the route, it is possible to get these items back if your name and
phone number are clearly marked on the garment, but there are no guarantees.
- + Can I get a refund?
- No. Race shirts, medals, aid station food, etc. are all ordered based on
registrations. Nor can we defer to next years event. If you would like to transfer your paid registration to another individual, please email email@example.com.
- + Is there any post-race medical attention?
- There will be Medical Support at the Start, Finish, and along the course at Aid
Stations. The Medical Tent is located at the Finish line.
- + How many aid stations and what type of fluid replacements are offered?
- Aid Stations for the marathon will begin at mile 3, and be spaced every 2 miles thereafter (distances between Aid Stations may deviate slightly due to road shoulder width along the course). The last on-course Aid Station will be at mile 25. A post-race Aid Station will be available after the finish line. The 1/2-marathon course will have Aid Stations every 2 miles.
The 1/4-Marathon course will have an aid station at the "3-miles to go" mark. Water and sports drink will be provided at each aid station. Water will be provided at the starting line. First aid will be located at all Aid Stations on each course, and at the Finish Line.